H is for the art of Homemaking

Source
H is for the art of HOMEMAKING

What is homemaking?  I have read a number of blogs about the “dying art of homemaking” and I wondered what was being lost.  Is homemaking more than keeping your home clean and tidy?

BHomemaking is defined as “manages a household”, to me this means the smooth running of a home which would include the basics of keeping the home clean and tidy, all the way through to balancing the books, a well stocked pantry, washing the clothes, feeding the family with healthy meals and providing a safe haven (full of love) for all those who live there. However it doesn’t necessarily mean a house full of colour coordinated cushions that looks like a plate from a magazine!

Personally, it is also about the feel of a home.  When you walk into a house, it doesn't take long to pick up the "feeling" or "vibes", it is warm and cosy, do people "live" here, does it have the feeling of "slight disorder" of a family who is having fun. If it does, to me, this is a good sign of a home.

Some of us have been blessed with mothers who taught us the art of homemaking.  My mother was a wonderful teacher and taught me (and my 3 brothers) everything I needed to know - I learnt how to clean a house, to prepare healthy meals and bake not so healthy cakes, wash and iron, crafts and sew, organisational skills, shopping etc. I have been very fortunate. However, many women I am discovering have not been taught these valuable skills and sadly many modern girls are not learning anything about the home and nor do they want to learn.  Unfortunately, we all live in a house and it is necessary to have some basic skills - even how to cook and clean.  Without these skills, it doesn't take long before a house becomes a disaster zone.

Mrs Beeton was so concerned about the slippage of skills in regards to homemaking that she wrote the book "Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management" which became a bestselling guide to running a Victorian household, with advice on fashion, childcare, managing servants, science and industrialism, and over 900 pages of recipes.  Mrs Beeton sees you:

AS WITH THE COMMANDER OF AN ARMY, or the leader of any enterprise, so is it with the mistress of a house. Her spirit will be seen through the whole establishment; and just in proportion as she performs her duties intelligently and thoroughly, so will her domestics follow in her path.

So stand ladies and march forward commanding your army.  And as any army general, be proud of being a homemaker.  Stand tall and straight and look ahead and don't be discouraged by what others might say around you.  Your family needs you.

PS you don't need to "love" housework (I don't particularly) nor do you need to spend hours and hours cleaning (I don't either), but you do need to enjoy it and if you put a little love into it, you will be surprised at the rewards.

PSS and if you struggle with homemaking, find a mentor, someone to help you . . . not only will you build a wonderful friendship, your home will become a haven for you and your family. 

And finally . . . it doesn 't matter whether you are a stay-at-home wife or a working wife, we can all create wonderful homes for our families. Believe me, my mother did a excellent job as a full-time working mother and our house was a most wonderful home.

And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily,
 as to the Lord, and not unto men.
Colossians 3:33

Comments

  1. love your blog friend its very versatile...thanks for sharing...my christian blog friend help me a lot with there encouraging words..more than you ever imagine...thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, Jo!
    Great post.
    blessings..Trish

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our home is nothing like a fashion plate - and never will be - but I do hope it feels warm and friendly! Anyway, this is a good post - I might not be wonderful at keeping my home, but I do try to enjoy it and keep it pleasant!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment