Happy Father's Day

This is my dad with mum and my eldest brother in 1962 on their farm

DAD'S

God took the strength of a mountain,
The majesty of a tree,

The warmth of a summer sun,

The calm of a quiet sea,

The generous soul of nature,

The comforting arm of night,

The wisdom of the ages,

The power of the eagle's flight,

The joy of a morning in spring,

The faith of a mustard seed,

The patience of eternity,
The depth of a family need,

Then God combined these qualities
,
When there was nothing more to add,

He knew His masterpiece was complete,

And so,

He called it ... Dad
~ unknown author ~

And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath:  
but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. 
Ephesians 6:4
My dad as a young man, 1958


* * *

Comments

  1. Jo, I love looking at old photos. You know, I always thought you looked like your mum, from others pictures you have posted in the past. But today, in this last photo of your Dad in 1958, I can see you.

    Lovely poem and tribute to Fathers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amanda - My dad is a very special dad, I am his only daughter (his first daughter, Elizabeth, died before I was born) and as a result spoilt me and considered me very precious (his princess!).


    I have his fair complexion and reddish hair. I look very much like his aunt (Matilda) - his mothers sister.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1958 was a very good year. ;D

    Your mum has the loveliest smile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing such lovely photos and sentiments. I struggle to adjust to Father's Day in September. I'm used to having it in June. So I tend to forget until about the Friday before. Then poor DH-- his birthday is the 7th so--it's always right on top of Father's Day. I hope he felt suffieciently celebrated today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great looking at old photos isn't it! I can see the resemblance to your dad like Amanda said and Ganeida, are you letting us in on a secret:) (wink)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some of us wouldn't know if 1958 was a good year of not, hey girls? [wink wink] lol... but we'll take your work for it Ganeida :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do. ☺ 1958 was an exceptional year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great to see the old pics - I love them! Your mother looks VERY happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jo,
    These are such wonderful pictures of your family! What treasures!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment