To my surprise

Sometimes I surprise myself and this week I did just that.  I have been wanting to make jam for ages but have always been a little nervous about giving it a go. As a child I watched my parents make jam on a regular bases - but to be honest, I didn't pay much attention to the process they used.  So the other day I rang up my dad and got a step-by-step recipe of how to make jam.  So thanks dad for your great advice as it worked and I now have delicious homemade jam.
Here are my 1.5 kilograms (3.3 pounds) of strawberries - sadly not homegrown, bought from the supermarket but reasonably priced.
I'm not one for following recipes to the letter - so I thought I would add some frozen raspberries (about 1kg) however I knew this might cause me some grief down the line with the amount of sugar, but I just ignored all of that!! No harm in taking risks!!
After softening the fruit on gentle heat with 4 tablespoons of lemon juice and a little water (I could have skipped the water) I then added 1.5 kg's of warmed sugar plus Jamsetter.  I wasn't game enough to not use Jamsetter on my first batch of jam. The recipe said to boil vigorously for 5-10 mins and test for setting. Due to more fruit than sugar I boiled for 20 mins before it decided it would start to set. There were a few moments of concern . . . but if it didn't set, it was going to make the best sauce!!!  So I wasn't too worried. 
I just loved the colour of this jam.
I made 7 jars of jam, however I now only have 6 as my son has taken a jar around to his girlfriends. I have been collecting glass jars for a couple of years now so I have quite a collection to make jams.
I just couldn't help myself, I had to try it. So after a few hours I had a slice (or 2) of homemade bread with homemade strawberry and raspberry combo jam.  It was delicious and it was set.  What more could I ask for.

Thanks Dad Smiley

PS In summer I might try my hand at apricot jam and perhaps tomato sauce.



Comments

  1. It looks delicious! :) I have an old recipe for dried apricot jam - this means you can make it at any time of year, using dried apricots - it's delicious! I'd like to try fresh apricot sometime, if I can find them at a decent price! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful! It looks like it turned out lovely! :) Have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clever. My mum makes good jam but I haven't been game to try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful Jo, Looks marvelous! I love making jam and eating too! We have a beautiful old recipe that my husbands Nana use to make and then got passed down to my Mother in law and she has taught me, but I am just waiting for all the right equipment to open under the Christmas tree one year :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was meant to write a tomato sauce recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ganeida - I was like you, not game to try, but I decided to "bite the bullet" and give it a go and it worked. And to make it more exciting, my sons love it and want me to make more. I most certainly will. Just having a collection of full jars is going to be a nice feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely! I am so sad that we only have one jar left from our summer berries. What will I do all winter? I will have to plan better next year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love strawberry jam! Peach and plum are also favorites here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done!!
    Your jam looks fabulous, Jo!
    So does your bread :-)
    Your menfolk must've been excited by the aromas coming from your kitchen lol!
    bless you..Trish

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment