Spicy plum ketchup/sauce

Spicy plum ketchup/sauce

Plums are cheap at the moment so I bought 4 kgs (8.8 lb) on December 31st and was eager to make a spicy sauce and some plum jam (plum and cinnamon).  Here is the recipe for the sauce.  It did take me all morning to make, but it was quite simple and I am sure will taste great once it matures. What a great way to start the New Year - making food to store away for the year to come!! I feel like one of those pioneering women!

Ingredients
  • 2 kgs (4 1/2lb) plums (once stones are removed)
  • 175g (6oz) pitted dates, chopped
  • 115g (4oz) raisins
  • 1 large red onion, chopped
  • 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
  • 5cm (2 in) piece of fresh root ginger, grated
  • 1 tablespoon coriander seed (I used the powdered form)
  • 1 teaspoon allspice
  • good pinch cayenne pepper
  • 1 litre ( 1 3/4 pints) malts or wine vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon turmeric
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 300g (10oz) soft (light) brown sugar - muscovado sugar
  • 60g (2oz) salt (to taste)

1. Cup and stone the plums, and chop if large.  Put in a large preserving pan with dates, raisins, onions, garlic and ginger.  Add the coriander seed, allspice, cayenne and 500ml (16 fl oz) of vinegar.


2. Bring mixture to the boil, then simmer for 30-40 minutes until the fruit is very soft.

3. Allow to cool slightly, then rub through a mouli or sieve. I used a mouli.


4. Return the puree to the cleaned pan.  Add the remaining vinegar, turmeric, nutmeg, sugar and salt.  Bring mixture to the boil.  Simmer for 30-45 minutes until reduced to a thick, pouring consistency, stirring often.


5. Allow the sauce to cool slightly, then transfer to hot sterilized jars (I sterilize my jars in the oven at 100C [212F] for 20 mins), cover with vinegar-proof seals. Store in a cool, dark place for at least a month before eating. 

You can use other spices if you wish, such as celery seed or use a dark muscovado sugar instead.

This will be nice on sausages, beef steaks or even added to casseroles. 

This is the plum and cinnamon jam - make plum jam (1kg [21/4lb] plums and the same in sugar) as normal but add a couple of tablespoons of cinnamon while cooking (to taste).  I also cooked the jam with a cinnamon stick.
I do not like lumpy plum jam so this has been pureed to create a smooth jam. Isn't the colour so pretty!
The next jam to make is apricot - just waiting for them to ripen.

~oOo~

If you are after a really good jam and chutney cookbook - this one is excellent (link).  Its English and I bought it from the Book Depository but you can buy it from Amazon.uk.


~oOo~

Comments

  1. This sounds great...I have never heard of it before, and will have to tag it for to do this spring.

    Thanks...Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think its a spicy flavor. I've never heard of it. When there are plums in Holland, I'll try to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both have a lovely colour! I'm not sure about the plum sauce, but the jam sounds really delicious!! :)
    You are quite the pioneer woman with all the things you did in your kitchen in 2011-2012!! :) :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment