Thoughtful Thursday: God's will


I read this when doing my daily devotional from The Excellent Wife by Karen Eiler and thought it was important to share.  How often are we really following what God wants us to do?  How often do we say "this is what God has directed me to do" and maybe thats not entirely correct, maybe its what you really want instead.  I could leave my job tomorrow and come home -- but is it what God has asked me to do? No, it isn't, so it would be very wrong to say God had anything to do with my decision but we do use God as an excuse for what we want, even if it is done for the best of intentions.

God doesn't always give us what we want, no matter how much we pray for it - believe me, I know. He sometimes does something completely opposite and its not what we have been praying for and it can be very frustrating. 

Just follow God's will. 

*****

What we often try to do is "signs and wonders" as indications that God is moving in a particular direction. 

Amazingly, that is usually the direction that gets us what we want! 

But any plan we come up with that contradicts His command to humbly submit to our husbands will be a very bad plan. 

Even if its based on how we are convinced the Holy Spirit is leading.  It is much more likely that your own desires are speaking louder than the voice of His Spirit, and that you have asked things of God "with wrong motives, so that you may spend it on your own pleasures" (James 4:3). 

Nothing is more important than yielding your will to God's will. Even if your will is for something good. 


*****

Comments

  1. Thank you Jo for sharing this today of all days. I feel as if I am at a crossroads, and your words of wisdom added to my peace. blessings to you, mari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou for your kind words - When at a crossroad, look up and there is the solution to any question. However it can take time and the answer may not be quite as you want or expect!

      Delete
  2. Dear Jo, I can only say that we are all in different classrooms of learning! And it is not always possible for all ladies to stay home! But you are doing all you can do to make a lovely and cheery home. And you love the Lord and your family! You just keep doing what He has called you to do! No commendation ever!
    May your blog prosper and continue to grow this New Year!
    Love, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all must follow God's plan and what interesting plans He has for each of us!!

      Thankyou :) I will continue to visit your blog this year as it's so encouraging.

      :)

      Delete
  3. Searching out AND obeying God's will is integral to life. Good reminder, thanks Jo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If this isn't the truth! So many times I hear someone say they wanted to do something and "lo and behold" it is God's will just a few days after... However, it seems to me it is the easy route many times that they want and not one based on Scripture... There is tremendous opportunity for misunderstanding the two. We have to be REAL honest with ourselves to get the right answer.

    Thanks for sharing this on the Art of Home-Making Mondays Jo. I always like reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often hear of women who pray to return home and every one of them end up at home and I wonder how much was God's will or the individuals will!. I never seem to hear from women who's prayers are not answered the way they expect.

      Delete

Post a Comment