(My dad use to make these on Sunday evenings - they would turn out crispy around the edges - he didn't use matzo meal - however matzo meal makes the pancakes so much lighter)
- 3 large potatoes (peeled and grated)
- 2 onions (grated)
- 4 tablespoons matzo meal** ( 2 tablespoon matzo meal and 2 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- black pepper to taste
- Grate the potatoes and rinse (in a sieve) to remove as much of the starch as possible
- Transfer grated potato to a bowl and add the onion, matzo meal, baking powder, eggs, sugar, salt/pepper and mix together until well combined.
- heat oil in fry pan (about 1cm covering bottom). Drop spoonfuls o the potato batter into the pan (they can be big or bit size).
- Fry over medium heat for 3-4 minutes until underside is brown, turn and fry second side
- When cooked, keep warm in oven.
- Service with sour cream (or in an Australia tomato sauce) - I prefer mayonnaise!!