Around the house: kitchen utensils
What would you consider the "essential" utensils in your kitchen?
I was reading a newspaper article (on-line) yesterday which listed the top 10 utensils for your kitchen - thinking I would find some really useful, what I found instead was expensive and very useless items such as pineapple peelers and something you do with strawberries to remove their tops!!!
So I thought I would list the 10 items in my kitchen that I use all the time:
I have excluded such things as wooden spoons and spatulas as they are a given in every home (I would assume).
- Microwave - this is used all the time to stream veggies, re-heat, defrost, melt chocolate and the list goes on. I doubt my sons could live without a microwave.
- Fry pan - I use this almost every night to cook the meat and find it useful when cooking bolognaise sauce, chilli con carne etc..
- Grater - this comes in very handy in summer when I grate carrots and cheese for salads.
- Potato masher - as you may remember from a previous blog, my DH loves his potatoes, particular mashed, so this is used all the time.
- Scissors - these are very handy and it can be frustrating when they go missing, as they seem to far too often!
- Slow cooker - this is so useful in winter, throw something in and by the time it is dinner it is cooked.
- Toastie maker - I doubt my children could live without this item, they make toasties almost every day (sometimes for breakfast). Their favourite is salami and cheese
- Food processor - this is not used every week, but it is so handy when making cheesecake, meat balls and processing soups.
- Handheld mixer - I use this all the time when baking - I have had it for ages and it is a tough little thing, considering what I expect it to do!
- Wooden boards - I have 2 large ones on my kitchen bench that stay there all the time, they are used very day.
What about those useless things (rarely used) taking up precious space in my cupboard - juicer, popcorn maker, ice cream maker and coffee percolator. Why did I buy them!! Who knows.
* * *