Breadmaking

Recently I have been sharing with you the bread I have been making - not this week, partly because I haven't made any bread - the dough is made but in the fridge waiting to be made into bread when I need it.  But I thought I would share this with you!!
This is what can happen when adding flour to the machine - everything, including me, can be covered in flour!!
And . . .  why is this still there and not in the bread. . . oops, forgot to add any salt.  I don't think it will be a disaster!!
Regardless of the salt missing - the bread has risen beautifully.  It now gets covered and placed in the fridge until I need it (for up to 5 days - or 4 weeks in the freezer).  Interestedly (as I discovered) dough can continue to rise in the fridge.  This will make 2 large loaves of Challah bread or a one loaf of bread + some sticky walnut caramel rolls.

Happy cooking!

PS - The recipe I am using is from a excellent cookbook called Artisan Bread in Five Minutes by Hertzberg and Francois. These guys have written a second book called Healthy Breads in Five Minutes (which I have order) - check out the video (link) - and it really does work and there is NO KNEADING.  Anyone can now make bread!!

~oOo~

Comments

  1. Before I got that book, I was almost afraid of making bread because of the hard work it involved (I have no mixer with dough hook), and because even if I did put the hard work in, too many breads didn't rise properly or turned out a flop for one reason or another. That book is brilliant and I don't think I'll ever need to buy store-boughten bread again!! :) Yay!! SO yummy! Challah is one of my favourites, if not THE favourite. :) (Too bad about the missin salt!) :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a good book. I've added it to my Amazon wish list. I wasn't aware that you could put bread in the frig, covered, for up to five days. Doesn't it get a bit "sticky" when you do that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wildflower Cottage - this particular dough last 5 days because it contains egg, but the basic white dough can last for up to 14 days in the fridge. It is a wet dough so it a little sticky, but managable once it is cold. Check out the video link as you will see how easy it is to make - its hard to beleive. It makes breadmaking so much quicker. It means you can have some dough in the fridge and take some out eg if you want bread rolls for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds wonderful! I don't have a bread machine so I'm used to the kneading and the large amount of time bread making takes. I'll have to try this sometime.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment