Art Wednesday: Books and reading

Books by Holly Farrell - yes, this is a painting not a photograph
2012 is the National Year of the BOOK (Australia) and as I am a lover of books I thought it was important to do a Art Wednesday that celebrated BOOKS.  So here is a selection of artworks that involve books or that most wonderful past-time . . . reading. 

I love books and have wasted many many hours of my life reading.  I read when I should have been studying, I read when I should be sleep, I read when I should be working . . . there is nothing quite like reading and I couldn't imagine a life without books.  I doubt I will ever have enough time in my life to read all the books I would love to read.

“I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! -- When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.”
Jane Austen "Pride and Prejudice"

Reading girl by Gustav Adolph Henning (1797-869)
Liseuse by Charles de Steuben (1788-1856)

Book Shelf (author unknown,Joni Di Pirro)
Gala apple with antique books Christopher Stott
Got book worm by Camille Engel
Girl and dog reading by
Children reading by Zolan
Summertime reading by Crystal Beshara
Stuck in a book by Carl Lasson
Lady in white reading by Emilie Mundt
Young woman reading by Delphin Enjolras
painting by Charles Wysochi
Reading by Jahaziel Minor
Painting by Pieter Janssens

Comments

  1. Some really beautiful ones there, Jo - especially Bookshelf (unknown artist), the ones with the bird, and the Children reading.

    And yes - books really are so wonderful! I've been enjoying reading more than I usually do, in these holidays! :) And I KNOW I'll never get to read all the books I'd like to read - there's so many, and I rarely get to read at this stage of my life!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clara - I didn't read much when the children were little, but I am making up for it now. I also loved the painting with the blue bird, it was my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the whimsical cats. Also the whimsical Summertime reading by Crystal Beshara. I too love books, but find I lack time... :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the one with the blue bird is my favourite...gorgeous.

    I have developed a love for reading, it's a wonderful past time. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved "lady in white", "girl and dog", and "got book worm" Wonderful and such a delight! Thank you for these fun posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice idea..thanks for sharing....

    ReplyDelete
  7. love it! very nice...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everyone loves it when people come together and share thoughts.
    Great website, keep it up!
    Also visit my web site Lejla.si

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful collection of paintings of readers. The charming little dog behind the woman in white caught my fancy. You have a great page. It's similar to two of my own: http://www.facebook.com/joyisachoice & http://www.facebook.com/InJoyfulBookReviews. Thank you for sharing this beauty.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment