Another day in my life

A is for Apple (photography by Joluise)

I spent the morning at Costco with my eldest son. He has decided not to renew his membership (saving money) but will tag along when I go to Costco.  It was such a nice morning as we chatted  up and down the aisles looking for our food (I had to remember what I needed as I left the shopping list at home).  When we got back to my place he stacked his car with his purchases and then helped me put my goodies away (and taking all the rubbish to the bin).

The afternoon was spent with my eldest brother and his wife who were visiting my part of the world. It was lovely to spend time with them. 

***

Made Osso Bucco this week, what a great recipe on a cold night and was perfect in the slow cooker.  I made cheesy mash potatoes to have with ours. 

***

This link will take you to 27 amazing art works (warning: does contain some immodesty) - these are not photos which is what makes it more incredible. These artists are gifted for sure, if only I had talent like this!!  http://www.buzzfeed.com/hnigatu/works-of-art-you-wont-believe-arent-photographs

***

I have been enjoying reading Mrs Fields best cookie book ever - 130 biscuits and desserts to make, I don't think I will run short of ideas.  I'm thinking of making Pecan Supremes which contain rolled oats, pecans and chocolate chip - but I think I will cut back on the sugar as many American recipes are very sweet and have far more sugar than our recipes have. 


I bought Preserving through the Year whilst we were at Costco today and its great. Plan to read this one in bed tonight!!  Being a DK book, it has looks of lovely pictures and beautiful laid out.  

Just about to start reading Diary of a SAHM by Australian author and Christian blogger Jess Newman.  I have no idea what it is like, but I will let you know once I have read it.  I thought this might be more upbeat compared to the 2 books I have just finished on dementia. The last one "Green Vanilla Tea" was really sad and I had little tears at the end as I ate my toast this morning. 

What are you reading at the moment?

***

Have a wonderful weekend with your families. Those in cold parts of the country, keep warm, I certainly plan too!




For any quilters out there!


Comments

  1. Beautiful photo of the apple! Apples are so pretty! :)
    What a good son, to go shopping with you and then to help you unpack. You should be proud.
    Those works of art are utterly incredible. I wish I had a quarter of the talent those artists have!!
    Those recipe books look like fun - I'm looking forward to starting preserving again - I do hope we get enough garden produce to be able to preserve some.
    Love the comic and the brain - SO funny!!!
    At the moment I'm reading My Royal Story 'Egyptian Princess' - Princess Hatshepsut's diary from 1490BC. Of course it's fiction based loosely on history, but it's quite interesting. I'm reading it ready to use for our new Social Studies unit which I'm designing myself - making up a worksheet as I read the book, using other books and resources as well, including recipes from Egypt. I think we'll have fun with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will have to share what you learn in the process, in particular the recipes you include as well.

      I have some other cookbooks on order which I am really looking forward to and will certainly share them with you as I think you will also find them interesting. As they are coming for the UK, it will be a few weeks.

      At Costco I was able to pick up a large jar (900g) of Coconut oil (organic) for $12, really pleased with that find as its usually far more expensive.

      Delete
    2. I'll share what I learn - the recipes look very interesting. :)

      Your new cookbooks sound interesting - I look forward to hearing about them!

      That IS a good price for Coconut Oil!! Is it cold-pressed coconut oil?

      Delete
    3. Clara - the coconut oil says on the front raw and cold pressed", so that price was very good I thought.

      Off to make bread otherwise we will run out.

      Delete
    4. That is an EXCELLENT price, in that case!!
      I haven't made bread loaves for a little while - I've been experimenting with some other things instead. :) What type of bread do you make most??

      Delete
    5. You will need to wait until tomorrow!!!!

      Delete
  2. Hi Joluise, so happy to find you are a blogger! Looking forward to following your adventures, nada x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for dropping by:))))

      Have a wonderful weekend.

      Delete
  3. Ooooh, can I read that book when you have finished it? Sounds really interesting. =)
    love,
    Bets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am already half way through and only said to myself this morning, I must lend this to Bets!!! So yes most certainly!!

      Delete
    2. Oh thank you!
      Have just finished Shadows of the Workhouse and really enjoyed it. Learnt about stuff I hadn't known before.
      The library has now supplied In the Midst of Life so just started that last night, despite being about a difficult subject for me right now, I am already enthralled!
      love,
      Bets

      Delete
  4. Love reading these random bits about your life! Thanks for posting! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment