Remain young in mind


As I approach 50 (not quite yet, but very soon) I have started to think about ageing. It happens to all of us and not much we can do about it.

However, I know what I don't want to be.

I don't want to have the mind of an "old lady" sitting quietly at home getting older. Because if you start to act old (and give up on living), before long you will be old in both mind and body. 

Unless my health fails me, I want to:

dance in bare feet to loud music
go on exciting adventures
 be silly and irresponsible
go on picnics and fall asleep in the sunshine
stay up late reading
 laugh until I cry
watch romantic movies
lie on the grass and watch the clouds pass
dream and dream some more
be a little crazy
 eat unhealthy cake with friends
spoil my grandchildren
smile lots
fly a kite
grow flowers instead of vegetables
breakfast in bed
go for long walks
go on the internet when I shouldn't
be the mad Aunt in the family
help others older than myself
annoy my children (!)
learn something new


and have a great time (and perhaps own a few more cats then I can be called a crazy cat lady!). 

Life is short and I am not going to waste a minute of it being "old". Just because we are getting older doesn't mean we need to start thinking and behaving old. It isn't a reason to sit at home quietly and accepting that is what life is all about.  I don't want to find reasons why I can't do something just because I am old, I want to find reasons why I can do something. 


Getting old shouldn't be the end, it should another chapter of one's life and one we should "live" as much as possible as we don't know how long it will last.  And to my family - if I loose my laughter,  my joy and my smile, if I talk to much about my health and forget to "live a little" tell me and make sure I do something about it.  




****

Comments

  1. I love these two old ladies - they epitomise what old age should be all about - they look like they're having a ball.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - they are so full of life and living.

      Delete
  2. Love that post! One of my favs!!!!! =)
    And as your junior, I will do my best to keep you young =) =)
    love ya,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do and I will keep an eye on you just in case you start to act old before you get there!!!

      Delete
  3. Love this! those two ladies look like they're having a blast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am all for a blast - especially when I get old!!!

      Delete
  4. This is so wonderfully encouraging! I can't say I agree with all the things on the list but I DEFINITELY do want to get heaps of cats so I can officially be a crazy cat lady lol ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am quite agree - very happy to be the mad cat lady!!

      Delete
  5. I'm 63 and I act like these ladies!!! Just last evening I was laying on the porch playing with our new puppy!!

    Live life!!!!!!!

    Rue

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't want to be a grumpy lazy old person... I want to be full of life and joy, too.
    I think you will do well with your list, Jo. I can just see you doing all those things.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment