Hand made gifts


Its my friends birthday next week and I wanted to make her something special so I made these lavender bags for her clothing. I am really pleased with the end result and I do like the purple and green fabric.  I love handmade gifts, it shows that the giver has gone to a lot of effort to make something unique, just for you. 

Once upon-a-time it was completely normal to make gifts for friends and family.  Only the rich could afford to buy and give gifts, no one else had money to waste. Women would spent their evenings sewing, knitting, embroidering, crocheting to make all sorts of wonderful things to give to others. Each piece was made with love and care. Often the items were practical such as clothing, but they also make pretty doilies, tablecloths and quilts that were then passed down the family.  Men made items out of wood - toys for the children and pretty jewellery boxes for their wives.  Even after a busy day, they still found the time to handcraft gifts for  others.

Those familiar with Laura Ingalls Wilder will remember Ma making gifts for the children and how excited they were to receive them. Children in those days were not spoilt with gifts on a regular basis, so they loved it when given gifts that their mother or father had made as it really was a very special treat. 


If  you gave a modern child a handmade item, most would be very disappointed. They want the latest electronic gadget that cost a small fortune and parents are more than willing to cater for their requests. They simply wouldn't appreciate something handcrafted.   These days it is a rarity to receive a handmade gift - women no longer have the time or the skills to make gifts for others. And even more sad, their lack of skill means they are unable to teach their daughters how to make homemade items for others.

One doesn't need to be a great sewer (I am certainly not), just find something that is simple and easy and matches your skill level. If sewing or knitting isn't your forte, perhaps make a batch of biscuits,  brownies, some lemon butter, a loaf of artisan bread, pasta sauce, jam, cupcakes, even one of those cookie mixes in a jar, candles, bath scrubs . . . the list is endless and it is so much cheaper than buying all the time.  Pinterest is over flowing with gift ideas that are cheap and easy to make.

Its worth, when you are next in the dollar store to look out for possible gift ideas, ribbon, jars, boxes, stickers . . . that way you will have a stash of bits and pieces that will make gift making so much easier.

Lets get back to making things with our hands, using our talents to craft something special for someone else.  Lets encourage our children to make gifts and discourage them from wanting the latest toy in the store. We spend a small fortune on toys that don't last and often require batteries - lets get back to basics!!

A few ideas I found on Pinterest
She seeks wool and flax, and works willingly with her hands. 
Proverbs 31:13

*****

Comments

  1. As a family, we all exchange hand crafted gifts. They have more meaning and are all made with love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a lovely tradition and as you say - each gift means so much more than anything shop bought.

      Delete
  2. I make an effort to make as many gifts as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the ideas on Pinterest are great and I can wait to make some for Christmas!

      Delete
  3. I make as many gifts as possible, too - but I find it disappointing that others don't give me handmade gifts! I also have been teaching my children to make handmade gifts, and just recently I'd been thinking about converting over to only handmade gifts within my own family - we all have skills we could put to good use! :) I LOVE handmade gifts - both giving them, and receiving them!
    Your handmade gifts are beautiful, Jo! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think people worry about their skill level but what they don't realise as the receiver isn't as critical as they are. Also, some of the ideas I looked at on Pinterest really didn't need high levels of skills at all. The one thing I would continue to buy would be books!!

      Delete
    2. True... I'm not sure I *could* stop buying books!!! ;)

      Delete
  4. I really love handmade gifts. They are so meaningful. We used to do this when I was growing up, and my grandmother made all the gifts she gave to me.
    Your lavender sachets are so pretty Jo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its something I would like to do more of and hoping to make my daughter-in-law a quilt for Christmas if I get my act together!!

      Delete
  5. These are lovely! A couple years ago, I handmade every Christmas gift I gave. It was really neat! Now, with a baby, I don't think that'll happen this year, but I look forward to doing it again someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It something one should plan in January and do all year, I am not quite that organised!!

      Delete
  6. So true! I love hand made gifts (both to give and receive), and this this fast-paced world it's wonderful to know that someone stops and takes time for you, and when I make gifts I love using that time to remember just how important that person is to me :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two of my old school friends are turning 50 in 2016 and I am hoping (if I start earlier enough) to make them both quilts - they will be made with love :)))

      Delete

Post a Comment