Trouble trusting?


Think about all the different people to who we entrust our lives. We trust pharmacists to give us the right pills from a prescription we can't read. We trust pilots we don't know to take us to the right destination . . . As we soar down the interstate, we trust other drivers to stay alert and follow the road. We trust our lives to engineers and road construction crews, believing the bridge will hold. We make countless decisions to trust people we don't even know every single day. 

Yet people have trouble trusting God. They often say, "I can't see Him." 

Do we see the engineers who designed the bridge?

Do we know the pilots?

Not usually.

Yet God, our Creator, who loves us more than anyone, who even sacrificed His Son for us to have forgiveness of sin and eternal life, is difficult to trust. It's amazing. It just doesn't make sense to trust imperfect men and women and not trust a perfect God. From the love he shows us through His Son, it just makes sense to trust Him.

- By Bryant Wright from "Right from the Heart"

This really resonated with me, we are happy to trust so many different people (from doctors to dentists, politicians, teachers, even the man who fixes the car), companies and "things", but we struggle to truly trust in the Lord. Just as Bryant Wright writes in his devotional - I too completely trust the pilot every time I climb into a plane - in fact I don't even think about it or doubt the pilot, I don't even need to see the pilot to feel safe. Why can't we have that same trust in the Lord considering how much He has done for us? 

However, considering the number of times "trust" appears in the Bible (134 times, KJV), it is clear that the Lord knew we would struggle with trusting Him and has provided many verses as reminders. Here are just a few to remember when we start to forget.

Perhaps the next time you climb into your car, take a flight in a plane or even drive across a bridge think about who you trust most in your life. Number one on your list should be God and no one else. 

Trust God; He is the Stronghold
The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower. (Psalm 18:2 )

Trust God; He is the Protector
As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all them that trust in him. (2 Samuel 22:31)

Trust God; He will Deliver as Promised
Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass. (Psalm 37:5)

Trust God; Nothing on Earth Can Compare
Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: but we will remember the name of the LORD our God. (Psalm 20:7)
*****

Comments

  1. I think this is something we all "know" but we also struggle to put it into practise. We all have excuses about why we should worry, why our concern is valid, etc - but yet, our very concern/worry, etc is in essence a sign that we don't really trust Him. We want to do all we can to manipulate the situation!
    Thanks for the reminder to just simply trust =)
    love,
    Bets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, we now, however we seem to forget far too quickly, or we let our panic/worry overrule and forget to pray when we should. I am guilty as the next person with this but do try hard, even if at times it is a bit delayed!

      Delete
  2. People are complicated beings - we want to be in control and yet at the strangest times we put our faith in the strangest things & people!! This is a great reminder, Jo. And I'm so glad the Lord understands us deep down and knows our need and supplies the encouragement and ability to trust Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are complicated - too true!!! for too complicated for our own good.

      Delete
  3. That is such an awesome way of putting it! I never really thought about all the people we just automatically "trust" with various things of life! :-) Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment