Beyond The Sunset



~ Beyond The Sunset ~
by Virgil Brocks

Beyond the sunset, O blissful morning.
When with our Saviour heaven's begun.
Earth's toiling ended, O glorious dawning
Beyond the sunset when day is done.

Beyond the sunset, no clouds will gather.
No storms will threaten, no fears annoy.
O day of gladness, O day unending.
Beyond the sunset eternal joy.

Beyond the sunset, a hand will guide me,
To God the Father whom I adore.
His glorious presence, His words of welcome,
Will be my portion on that fair shore.

Beyond the sunset, O glad reunion,
With our dear loved ones who've gone before,
In that fair homeland we'll know no parting.

Beyond the sunset forever more. 

Virgil Brocks, a composer, wrote this hymn after his cousin Horace Burr, who had been blind from birth, had “witnessed” a magnificent sunset one evening in 1936, suddenly spoke out with excitement, saying that he had never seen such a beautiful sunset. One of the other guests asked how it was possible for him to see events of the sky. Horace's reply was to have a lasting affect on Brocks: I see through other people's eyes, and I think I often see more - I see beyond the sunset. (link to source)


This is a beautiful hymn and the words are so touching. One of the reasons why I like to do blog posts using hymns - is that when we sing we often forget to truly focus on the words as we are a little too wrapped up in the tune. The words in this hymn are wonderful - in particular the second stansa - "beyond the sunset eternal joy" or "Beyond the sunset, O glad reunion, with our dear loved ones who've gone before".  My mother often reads these old hymns as they bring her so much comfort at the nursing home she is in and I do hope they do to you too.  

So the next time you see a glorious sunset, remember to look as you too might be able to see "beyond the sunset" and know that this isn't our home, our fair home is waiting for us. 


*****

Comments

  1. You have such a wonderful point, I do think that we focus on the music rather than the words whilst singing at church you have really reminded me to focus on the words. That was a truly beautiful hymn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it isn't until I start reading the words do I realise what the message is and it can be very moving. It becomes the same as reading poetry. This is a wonderful hymn.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful poem, and beautiful story and thoughts to go with it Thank you.
    I love the hymns that have extra good poetry as well as a good tune. I've found some lovely poetry in old hymn books, but when I played the tunes I realized why the hymns sadly didn't "stick". A good poem is greatly helped by a good melody, but if we don't pay attention to the words, as you say, we lose out on the best part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, treating some as poetry rather than hymns can have a much stronger affect because the words sink in much quicker and harder than singing when we tend to remember the tune more than the words.

      Delete
  3. I don't think I've ever seen this hymn before. It does have beautiful words. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tune isn't that exciting, I think its best as a poem to read rather than singing.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful! You had me before I go to the hymn though. Love the chicken in the header!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chickens are so underrated, we really ought give them far more respect :))

      Delete
  5. Jo,

    Thank you for sharing such a beautiful hymn and painting.. I will look for our sunset today and think of heaven.

    Christine x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only God could create such a beautiful thing for us to witness (the sunset), just imagine how much better heaven will be :)

      Delete
  6. Thank you for sharing such a beautiful post, just lovely. Blessings
    PS I would love it if you would share it at Good Morning Mondays at Darling Downs Diaries.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment