The setting sun at the seaside


There is something very special about watching the sun setting over the ocean. I don't get to see this magnificent view very often as I live inland, so when I do, I am in heaven so to speak!! Here are some photos I took a few weeks ago of a beautiful setting sun. I do hope you enjoy them. I find sunsets very peaceful.

Did you know there is something like 22 to verses in the bible about the setting sun and around 99 verse about the sun. Its beauty isn't random, God created this amazing view and so often we rush by without even seeing it.


From the rising of the sun to its going down The Lord’s name is to be praised. (Psalm 113:3)

Then God made two great lights: the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night. He made the stars also. (Genesis 1:16)


The sun also rises, and the sun goes down, And hastens to the place where it arose. (Ecclesiastes 1:5)






As a child, after Sunday morning meeting we would come down here and walk along the jetty, often with our Aunt. As a child I strongly disliked this walk as I was afraid of falling through the cracks and slipping into the water. We walked long this after the sunset had finished, and now as an adult, it isn't scary at all!!!



Hope you enjoyed these photos :)

The most suitable footwear for the beach. In Australia we call these "thongs" (much to the horror of my American brother!!), in the USA and Great Britain they are better known as Flip-Flops. In New Zealand they are known as "jandals" devised from "Japanese sandals" and proceed "jendel".  Interesting the word thong came from the Old Norse work "thvengr" meaning strap and the word "flip-flops" only started to be used in the 1970s, perhaps not to be confused with the female under garment.

*****

Comments

  1. I am blessed as I live in a seaside village on the North East coast, so scenes like this are normal for me, although still beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do enjoy them for me - and all us who live in land!!!

      Delete
  2. These are gorgeous sunset photos, Jo! I LOVE sunsets and sunrises. One of my most treasured memories of my visit to Papua New Guinea was sitting on the beach in a remote village in the jungle, watching the sun rise before me while the water lapped at my feet, and seeing the lazy wisps of smoke rising in the crisp morning air from the outdoor fires of the local villagers behind me - the only time of day to experience anything like that because when the tropical sun rose you soon remembered what heat is like in the tropics! That time of day was just so beautiful.
    Of course there are beautiful sunrises and sunsets here in Australia too - I've seen some really stunning ones (I have memories of lovely ones in Adelaide!) here, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we lived in Darwin we saw lots of beautiful setting suns over the Arafura Sea :)) but i can just imagine your seen in PNG!!

      Delete

Post a Comment