Random Tuesday #21 - Dirty Dishes

~ Dirty Dishes ~

I strongly dislike piles of dirty dishes!


I never go to bed with dirty dishes in the sink because it is the most depressing sight to wake up to in the morning. Who wants to be faced with a pile of cold greasy dishes.

Not me!!!

So if you are struggling with keeping your kitchen under control, start with the dishes. It only takes a few moments to wash up and you will start to see a difference in your kitchen.

If washing dishes really does wear you down, do what I do and wash along when I am cooking so when the meal is eaten and enjoyed, there is hardly any dishes left to do. I usually dry whilst the food is cooking. Or minimise the amount of pots and pans that you use.


There are way of making washing and drying much more fun, why not:
  • rope in the entire family not only is it more enjoyable, its far quicker.
  • take it in turns who washes and dries to create variety
  • play a game, like "I spy"
  • sing songs/hymns
  • make up stories - have one person start a story, and each person adds a sentence or two as you go around the group and see where the story goes
  • have someone read aloud from a book the whole family will enjoy (I spent a week with a family who did this and it was so enjoyable listening to a book being read), or
  • simply use the time to catch up the days activities 
-- turning a dull but necessary job into one of pleasure!!  

No more dishes and a nice clean kitchen.


I have been known to wash a pile of dishes in other peoples houses!

*****

Comments

  1. Totally agree! It is one of the first things I read about housekeeping (I think at Flylady), never go to bed leaving dishes unwashed. And I still never do! I refuse to have a dishwasher as I actually enjoy washing dishes. That sure makes me a crazy lady, according to everyone else in the house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes my husband will leave something in the sink and I will go and wash it before I go to bed, he doesn't understand my "obsession" but it was the way my mother trained me and its very engrained !!! We don't own a dish washer and don't have plans for one, like you, I quite like doing the dishes and happy to wash at other peoples houses!!! (as I did last week!)

      We can be crazy together :))

      Delete
  2. I have a pile here - want to come and fix them for me???? ;)
    Will do them in the morning, had a day of retail therapy, and I need rest now!
    love,
    Bets

    ReplyDelete
  3. We do a lot of these things when we do dishes. If I'm washing, we often sing together. But often the children would rather do the dishes on their own and have me read to them while they work. We get through quite a lot of books that way!! :) On the weekend, Dan will wash up while I read to the family and the children dry. They all just REALLY love having me read to them! But yeah... sometimes we forget to wash up when we run late or get carried away with having fun with our guests! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading certainly makes the job are more enjoyable!! I just never have very many dishes which mean i would never hear very much of a book!!

      Delete
  4. I hate dirty dishes mostly because I think our house was built on an ant hill. The least little bit of food left out and we will be covered in ants, Everyone has learned to rinse right away and we do dishes after every meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I lived in the tropical north of Australia where it was hot and humid I would never leave dishes on the sink because of the ants and cockroaches that would roam at night. And I just love walking into my clean and tidy kitchen first thing in the morning :)

      Delete
  5. Ick, dishes in the sink bother me but inevitably someone gets hungry as soon as I'm done with the dishes, after every meal! Thanks for sharing with Small Victories Sunday Linkup. Pinning to our linkup board and hope you join this week's linkup that just went live!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When my son returned home to live and had to endure dirty dishes in the sink once again - but I think I have re-trained him about washing them ASAP after a meal and not leaving them to cause stress to his mother!!!

      Delete

Post a Comment