Recipe: A quick and easy pizza base
|I prepare my topping before I start to make the pizza|
I have found the best and easiest pizza base to make, I even make it after work!
And for those who are vegan, this is suitable for you too.
This recipe is almost as quick as getting one delivered and for anyone nervous about using yeast, this is a really great recipe to start with.
Not only have I made it many times, I have past it onto my colleagues at work and they are now all making their own pizza bases too.
The recipe is simple (I use a dough hook) but you can make this by hand if you don't have a standmixer.
Pre-heat over to 180C (356 F)
- In bowl add: 1 teaspoons sugar, 2 teaspoons dried yeast and 1 cup of lukewarm water. Set aside for 5 mins or until foaming.
- Meanwhile: measure out 3 cups of plain flour (I use white bread flour) and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- If using a stand-mixer with dough hook: add the plain flour/salt and 1 tablespoon olive oil (or your oil of choice) to the yeast mix until combine (add more lukewarm water if too dry). Knead for 6 minutes until smooth.
- If kneading by hand: Make a well in the centre of the flour and add the yeast mixture and oil (1 tablespoon). Use a wooden spoon to stir until combined, then use your hands to bring together (it should be soft and slightly sticky). Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 6 minutes or until smooth.
- Place dough in a bowl, cover with tea towel. Set aside in a warm draught-free place for 15 minutes. It will start to rise.
- Roll out to the number of pizzas you require (I make mine quite thin) - I usually make 2 large ones, but it could easily make 4 smaller pizzas. Place on an greased tray, cover in tomato sauce/paste or what ever topping you like.
- Once prepared, place in oven for around 10 to 15 mins until cooked.
The link below is the original recipe and when you look at it, you will notice they pre-cook the base before adding the topping - I skip that part and its fine. So do all my friends and none have had any issues.
This is much nicer than any bought pizza. I like to add bacon, chorizo sausage, tomato, mushrooms, feta, pineapple, onion and more cheese. My husband loved anchovies on his with some hot salami.