My first quilt: Finished

DISAPPEARING NINE PATCH

I made it, my first quilt is completed and given to its new owner, my sister-in-law.

Never in my wildest dreams did I ever imagine I could do this, but I did!!! Set your mind on something and you can achieve almost anything. 

This is how it all started back in winter. It has taken me sometime to do, I didn't rush and I did have moments (or weekends) of self doubt, but I went on regardless and made it to the end. 

Laying out the front to measure up the borders and sashing. All the fabric used in the main design is Japanese, I just love Japanese fabric, the colours are so beautiful and rich.

Sewing on the binding
Having the computer and sewing table/machine nearby is very handy. When I needed to watch a youtube clip of how to bind around corners, I could watch the clip, turn my chair and follow the instructions. 
I quite enjoy hand sewing, it is relaxing and peaceful. I did this with classical music playing in the background and the window open so I could get the cool breeze and listen to the rain falling.  Even the birds sang for me. It was all rather lovely and calm. 
Road testing! Found Ruby asleep on top of the quilt, she seemed very content and comfortable. Before it is packaged up and given to my sister-in-law it will be de-haired and cat free. 
I did not machine quilt this quilt, I have not learnt machine quilting yet and this wasn't the quilt I wanted to learn on. This was done professionally by someone who owns one of those hugely expensive computerised machines and she did a brilliant job. I discovered many quilters use the services of this lady if they want fancy patterns. One day I will learn this skill, but first, I need to learn how to match my points!!
DONE Not perfect but way better than the very first quilt I made. Onwards and upwards from here!!! I've learnt a lot from this one, and I am bound to learn even more with the next. 





It is such sleepy business watching mum sew - but I sit patiently and wait.  She often stops and pats me and we have quite long conversations about the meaning of life!! Sometimes I stand up and place my tail in her face and she grumbles about cat hair!! and then she gives me a big hug. 

*****

Comments

  1. That quilt is wonderful! You have done an amazing job! =) I never achieved such heights of excellence! And the colours are just gorgeous - if she doesn't like the quilt, I could easily use it =)
    love,
    Bets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My SIL loves it and has been wrapped up in it all afternoon:))) keeping her very warm !! Don't think I can get it off her !!!

      Delete
  2. What a great job you did....she should be very happy with it....it looks fantastic....well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pretty impressed with myself as i had a lot of doubts as i made it :)

      Delete
  3. It's really beautiful, you did a wonderful job on it! How was it received?!
    I love the colours and the richness of them, like you said - I too really like the Japanese fabrics. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My SIL has been wrapped in it all afternoon, well received :))) it's just the right size to wrap yourself in and bright and cheery if you don't feel well.

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness Jo.... that is beautiful! You did a great job. Glad you didn't give up. I have been learning how to do different patterns for crocheting and there are times I say this is too hard. But, I pick back up my yarn and try again. It's so satisfying to figure a pattern out and complete the task. I hope your SIL loves it!

    I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    Blessings,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy, its really is getting up when you fall off and not being disappointed when something doesn't go to plan!!

      Delete
  5. Fabulous Jo! I take my hat off to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty! My linen closet is filled with blankets my grandparents made and gave me and I love that it is something I can keep forever! Congrats to you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats the wonderful thing about quilts, giving them to others to treasure.

      Delete
  7. WOW! What a huge achievement! That is totally awesome. I love the colours :-)
    hehe trust a cat to have to test out a new blanket ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have three on the go and I really need to get my act together and finish them - starting this weekend :))

      Delete

Post a Comment