10 things I did this week
1. Baked my first loaves of bread - I made a Jewish bread called Challah - however I didn't plait mine as you are meant to as making it was stressful enough! I thought it tasted very nice, DH wasn't as keen and said it tasted more like a cake than bread but my sons thought it was pretty good.
2. Cleaned out the kitchen cupboards, being quite ruthless about what to toss in the bin and what to keep - now I have heaps more space - to fill up! Gave my eldest son a large cooking pot as he wanted to cook a piece of silverside - this gave me some extra room!
3. DH played on the swings on one of our walks and show me how to jump off. I wasn't game enough to jump like him as I didn't want to break any bones! DH did take one photo of me but it was not very nice so I won't be publishing it!
4. Went to the post-Christmas sales and bought one skirt for $14 (reduced from $40) plus a couple of t-skirts that weren't on sale and some small plastic containers for the kitchen (1/2 price). I also bought two 2011 calendars - one for study and one for the loo (bathroom) reduced by 40%.
5. Defrosted the small upright freezer - I did this on a very hot day so it melted quickly and I stayed cool! I only do this job once a year in summer as it isn't something I really enjoy. Fortunately the big fridge/freezer doesn't need defrosting as it kindly does the job for me.
6. Watched the setting sun through the trees. This was taken 10 mins for our home in a park surrounded by houses.
7. Baked Cowboy Cookies which were ok, but not what I expected them to taste like. They were a little too dry even though I followed the recipe - I am use to Anzac biscuits that are much chewier and soft in the middle. I made half with no sultanas for my eldest son and half with sultanas for my youngest son.
8. Played around with my camera taking photos of this red dwarf Dahlia - I was very pleased with the results. I planted lots of dwarf Dahlias in the garden in many different colours so I have be busy photographing other colours - but won't bore you with all those photos. The hand in the second photo is mine, I held the flower in one hand and the camera in the other!!
9. Finished reading "The Tudor Housewife" by Alison Sim - a great book that I will share snippets from in coming weeks. All I can say is these women were multi-skilled and highly talented. Watched Toy Story 3 and thought was quite entertaining and funny in parts.
10. Chased birds - no one is too old to chase birds! There were 100's of them eating grass seeds - I'm sure they weren't to pleased with me disrupting their dinner!
PS This week my son used his Christmas money to buy a 15 kg rock for his fish tank . . . it is currently under his bed as he doesn't have the 6 foot fish tank yet!