Recipe of the week: Chicken makhani


During the week I go searching for "the" recipe I plan to make on Saturday. I have to admit I am enjoying this little project I have set myself and even my dear husband wants to get involved and make a recipe occassionally himself.   This weeks recipe was "CHICKEN MAKHANI" from my 200 Curries cookbook, a book I have had for quite some time but never tried any of the recipes.

Ingredients:
  • 150g (5oz) unsalted cashews
  • 2 tablespoons medium curry powder
  • 4 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger root
  • 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
  • 100g (3 1/2 oz) tomato puree
  • 150g (5 oz) natural yoghurt
  • 750 g (1 1/2 lb) skinless chicken thighs cut into bit sized pieces
  • 50 g (2 oz) butter
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 4 green cardamon pods
  • 1 teaspoon chilli powder
  • 400g (13 oz) canned chopped tomatoes
  • 150ml (1/4 pint) chicken stock
  • 100 ml single cream
  • 4 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander, to garnish
Method:

In a non stick frying pan, dry roast the cashews and curry powder over a low heat for 2-3 mins. Tranfer to a food blender and blend until smooth. 

Once smooth, add the following: garlic, ginger, vinegar, tomato puree and half the yoghurt. Process until smooth. Transfer to a bowl or zip-lock bag and cover chicken and marinate for 24 hours in the fridge. 
Melt butter in a large pan and add the onion, cinnamon and cardamom pods. Stir-fry over medium heat for 6-8 mins or until the onion is soft. Add the chicken mixture and cook, stirring for 10 mins.
Stir in the chilli powder, tomatoes and stck, bring to the boil and reduce the heat. Simmer, uncovered for 40-45 mins, stirring occassionally. Add the cream and cook gently for 4-5 mins. Garnish with the coriander and drizzle with single cream. Serve with boiled rice and naan bread.


My comments: This was easy to make and I would make it again - I loved the creamy taste. However my husband perfers really hot curries, so not a favoruite with him, but I don't like hot curries, so it was perfect for me!! As my husband doesn't like creamy food, I served his without the cream and I added a little for myself. I didn't drizzle any cream over the dish at the end. I also didn't use the coriander as I don't like it (at all!), instead I used parsley, it worked just as well.

Rating: ★★★★ (4 stars)

***

This was followed (much later) by Flourless chocolate brownies and cream from the Nigella Lawson website. Not heathly in any way, but wow, so good to eat every now and again!! And no, plenty was left and frozen.

Very easy to make and would be perfect for a fancy afternoon tea with friends. 

Rating: ★★★★★ (5 stars)

Comments

  1. Mmm... that curry sounds interesting - I might have to try it sometime! :)
    As for the brownies - do I really have to comment on that??! It (of course) looks absolutely DELICIOUS!!! :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment