Recipe of the week: Huevos rancheros

I have decided that once a week I will make a NEW recipe, something I have never made before. I thought it would be fun and stretch my cooking skills a little plus our taste buds. 

On the weekend I made my first "new" dish" HUEVOS RANCHEROS and it turned out so well I plan to make it again.  According to the cookbook, this recipe  should feed 4 people, however 2 of us ate it all, so I would suggest making more if you have a larger family as it simply wouldn't be enough for hungry boys.  We had two eggs each, however the recipe suggests 1 egg per person. 

The photo from the book - mine looked very similar (just that my photo was very blurry!!)

Ingredients:
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 red onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 red capsicum, thinly chopped
  • 1 or 2 chorizo, chopped in rings
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 2 ripe tomatoes, chopped (I used 8 cherry tomatoes)
  • 420 g red kidney beans (drained)**
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 4 eggs (depending on how many each person wants)
  • parsley and cracked pepper
  • corn chips or toasted tortillas to serve

** I used 1 can of Stagg chilli bean mix instead which I preferred

I also added some homegrown shredded spinach to increase the "healthy factor"!

Method:
  • Heat oil in a large frying pan. Add onion, capsicum and chorizo and brown and onion is soft. Add tomatoes, beans and cumin. Season to taste. Simmer for  5 - 10 minutes or until tomatoes have softened. Add spinach if using it (optional)


  • Crack eggs separately into a small bowl then pour on tip of simmering sauce. Simmer, covered, without stirring for 4-5 minutes, or until the egg whites are set and the yolk is soft. 
  • Garnish with parsley and black pepper. Serve with toasted tortillas or corn chips. As my husband loves corn chips, that was our choice!! I also added sour cream.

Rating: ★★★★★


Later in the evening we had Jumbleberry Crumble from the Nigella Lawson cookbook "Express". I just love the name of this recipe so had to give it a go. I only had raspberries but that was fine, it tasted great and even my husband who doesn't usually eat dessert liked this. It isn't very sweet (not too unhealthy) and the raspberries remained quite tart.  We had it with lashings of cream:)  



Rating: ★★★★★ +

Comments

  1. I've made heuvos rancheros before - yum! Dan especially loves Mexican foods. :)
    The dessert sounds delicious, too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Mexican wasn't very hot (chillies) as I don't like very hot food, nevertheless it was still very tasty. The dessert was very easy to make and you could use any fruit.

      Delete
  2. isn't very sweet (not too unhealthy) ... We had it with lashings of cream:)
    Is this not a contradiction?????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think so at all - sugar and cream are completely different food products... sugar is very bad for our bodies, whereas cream is a good healthy fat that has been given a horribly bad rap.
      :) :)

      Delete
    2. Quite right Clara - not to forget the calcium from the cream whereas I would get no benefit from the sugar at all. It wouldn't be something I made all the time, but for a special treat it was very nice :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Joluise,
    These dishes look and sound good to me.
    I like lashings of cream.
    Have a good week
    Barb from Australia

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment