Rules for Female Teachers in 1915
Rules for Female Teachers in 1915 (Queensland, Australia)
- You will not marry during the term of your contract.
- You are not to keep company with men.
- You must be home between the hours of 8pm and 6am, unless attending a school function.
- You may not loiter downtown in ice-cream stores.
- You may not travel beyond the city limits unless you have permission of the Chairman of the Board
- You may not ride a carriage or automobile with any man unless he is your father or brother.
- You may not smoke cigarettes.
- You may not dress in bright colours.
- You may under no circumstances dye your hair.
- You must wear at least 2 petticoats.
- Your dresses must not be any shorter than 2 inches above the ankles.
- To keep the school neat and clean you must:
- sweep the floor at least once daily
- scrub the floor at least once a week with hot soapy water
- clean the blackboard at least once a day
- start the fire at 7am so the room will be warm by 8am.
So ladies, I hope none of you plan to loiter downtown in one of those ice-cream stores and I do hope you are wearing your 2 petticoats!! And no bright colours - I would have been hopeless as I love bright colours and would have skipped one of those petticoats in a hot Queensland climate!
Below are rules for the 1872 teacher - I particularly like the one about male teachers being able to spend one evening per week for courting purposes, but I assume not with a female teacher as she isn't allowed out after dark!! How times have changed.
|Here's one from 1872 - click to enlarge.|