Have a go . . try something new



Have a go . . . try something new. 

Be brave — don't be afraid

Take a risk and do something you have never done before and see where it lead you. 

What can happen?

Not a lot!

It doesn't matter if you aren't very good, the more you try, the better you become and suddenly before you know it, you are really quite good and then you are an expert!

***

I wanted to learn to quilt. So I gave it a go. I am no expert, but I am giving it my best and I am slowly improving. I borrowed some books from the library, I bought some second-hand and I attended a short course. I found a quilting buddy and we have been learning to together. Its been fun. 

***

I love homemade jam and even though I had watched my parents make it as a child, I thought it might be too tricky to make it myself, so I kept putting it off. One day I decided to give it a go. I spoke with my dad (who is a jam making expert), checked out cookbooks plus the internet and made strawberry jam. It worked  — and I was pretty impressed with myself and my family loved it!!

***

My sewing isn't great, I have a LOOONG way to go, but I am slowly getting there. Youtube and sewing blogs are great places for tips and advice and I have taught myself so much. Whilst a few things have ended up in the bin, I haven't given up.  When fabric is cheap, stock up . . . you will feel less guilty about throwing away something that hasn't quite worked if the fabric is inexpensive. 

***

Bread making not only brings me pleasure, my family enjoy it too. Try one of the no-knead bread recipes and I am sure you will be completely surprised at how easy it really is!! 

***

Why not try:

baking bread
knit a scarf for winter
sew a skirt
make a baby quilt
new recipes from different countries
planting a veggie gardening
grow flowers in summer
learning a new language
try your hand at writing short stories
learning embroidery 
painting, watercolour, drawing 
book binding, paper making
photography

the possibilities are endless, why not draw up a list and work your way through. It doesn't matter if somethings seem impossible, traveling to the moon was once laughed at!!

***

If you never try, you will never know if it is something you are really quite good at and perhaps it will open up a whole new world of interests for you. 

Your life might weave around your husband, your children and your home . . .  but like all women . . . you also need to keep your mind active and continue to learn. Learning a new hobby is a great way to do this and often your family benefit from your new skills. 


DON'T GIVE UP!!!

"The expert in anything was once a beginner"

*****

Comments

  1. Just the boost I needed! I am going to try growing flowers to sell at our farmgate this summer. It may not work out but I figure at least we will have lots of flowers for our own home!
    Quilting is so much fun, isn't it? I would love to see what you are working on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think its important to not get discouraged when learning or doing something new - make it as fun as possible and if it doesn't work, as you say, you will have lots of beautiful flowers to enjoy :))

      I have just started my next quilt, some time before I can share :)))

      Delete
  2. Such wonderful advice, I too would love to see what you are working on with your new founded quilting hobby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only just started my next quilt (for my son) so it will be some time before I am ready to share!!!

      Delete
  3. My sister has been visiting this summer and we have made a few meals from different countries. It has been so much fun! I'm thinking about continuing to try it even after she leaves. Maybe I could try to make food from Australia! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing about new recipes is the tasty which makes it a fun for everyone!! I have been trying my hand at Indian dishes and now have a number that I add to our weekly menu as I was so impressed by them and how easy they were!! I would like to learn more Mexican dishes and will be trying some of those over the coming weeks!!

      Delete
  4. I recently joined a craft club at my church. My first project was patchwork. I'd always admired patchwork, but assumed it was beyond me (I'm not a 'crafty' person!). And I love it!! I'm very slow and vat the basic stage, but my greatest moment was when I gave my mum the first thing I made - a patchwork cushion. Mum was amazed and delighted with it and it has pride of place in her sitting room. I'm now getting really interested in crafts/sewing for the first time in my 55 years - it's never too late too start! :)
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was always interested in quilting/patchwork but, like you, thought it was too difficult and my first attempt was loved by the cat but not much use for human consumption!!! But a friend and I went on a course and bought the bits and pieces we needed and have advanced quite well. Still at the beginner stage, I feel much more capable of doing more complex quilts. It has been such a pleasure learning something new - frustrating at times, but fun nevertheless. And to make it even more special, a quilt that 2 friends and I made together for a lady with cancer is now treasured by her family and was draped over her coffin.

      Delete
  5. Absolutely, Jo!! I agree with you 100%! It is so important to just "have a go", to try learning new skills! You just never know what might come of it.
    You know, about 11 1/4 years ago I thought I would try to give knitting a better go than I had in the past (I had learned to knit in my late teens, but hadn't progressed very well)... And that "try" 11 1/4 years ago led to me knitting a LOT before my hands started hurting too much to do much of it... And then about 10 1/2 years ago I needed to sew a curtain to help block the light on one of my windows, so I borrowed a sewing machine... But I got so interested in sewing that I ended up buying my own sewing machine very soon after that, and since then I have enjoyed a decade of sewing more than I would have ever dreamed, including having to upgrade my sewing machine because I sewed so much that my original one wore out!! There was a time when patterns made no sense and the idea of drafting my own pattern or just making something up without a pattern would have completely overwhelmed me... and now?? Now I am completely addicted to sewing and fabric, I have drafted many patterns, I own two hobby businesses and take in dozens of custom orders each year! I could never have imagined going so far with sewing back 11 years ago!
    Apart from sewing, I also love drawing & art, a little knitting & crochet here and there, baking bread, making preserves & jams, making cheese and other interesting and fun things in the kitchen - such as trying recipes from other cultures & countries. I love growing vegies & fruit trees (and a few flowers), learning languages, designing things, taking photos, doing paper crafts. Yep, I love trying new things and I usually end up making a hobby of it (although none of those hobbies has ever grown as big as sewing, knitting, crochet and art, for me!)!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are certainly someone who gives things a go and now you are an expert in some of those areas of interest such as your sewing and cooking :))) I think both you and I were brought up with the encouragement of trying new things (not having TV does make you look for things to do for entertainment) by our mothers - my mother (and likewise yours) liked to try new things too and we learnt from them.

      Delete
  6. This is so inspiring and a good motivation for anyone struggling to try something. Your attitude is contagious. Found you on Titus 2 link up. Lovely friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle :))) Its always fun to try something new because you never know where your hidden talents are!!

      Delete
  7. This is an inspiring post and I appreciate you sharing it at Good Morning Mondays. My mother knitted from the age of 7 and tried through the years to teach me to no avail, scarves were about it. Upon becoming a grandma I decided it was time to give it another go and now I am really enjoying it, we are never to old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What we don't try we will never know if we are good at it or even like it!!! I've tried to crochet a number of times to no avail, I think I really need someone to help me when I get stuck!! It was the one thing my mother never did and therefore never learnt. Perhaps one day when I am older!!

      Delete
  8. What an inspiring post... there are many things I'd like to try, but for me, finding the time is the most important ingredient, lol! I appreciate your words of encouragement, and perhaps someday I'll take up knitting or crocheting, or embroidery again. I did it when as a child, but just have not found the time to do it now. Maybe someday... lol! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time is a problem for me too so I only try to take on things one at a time and smallish projects (except when I am quilting). One day when i retire I will have all the time in the world!

      Delete
  9. What a good word! I love this post!

    It's funny... yesterday, I was having lunch with a bunch of senior ladies. One of them (who is 89) said that she would like to learn sign language. I love that she has not quit learning and exploring!

    Came over on DancewithJesus today, and I'm glad to find your site~
    Blessings,
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think anyone is too old to try something new!!! I do hope I am still learning at 89 too :) what an inspiration!

      Delete

Post a Comment